Can You Khan 11-17 June 2020
Date: 11-17 June 2020
Place: Namibia, Erongo district. Goanikontes oasis
R2000 Deposit required for booking.
Balance due 90 days before hike.
What is this?
A 5 day, 100km hike in the Khan River Wadi or dry river bed in the Namib Desert.
Namibia, Erongo district. We commence our hike at Goanikontes oasis (https://www.goanikontes-oasis.com/) some 40 km South of Swakopmd. We end our hike 100km further, 50 km from the Spitzkoppe on a Framers land.
This has only been done once before and will probably be the last time we do it again. In 2018, Silent Steps managed to take 20 hikers and 8 support crew on the first ever hike through this part of the Namib. In 2020 Silent Steps would like to once again offer an off the beaten track experience for the adventurous at heart.
11-17 June 2020. (Travel time not included).
Cost: R 6800 pp. This includes:
- Your supper at Goanikontes upon arrival, and breakfast the morning before we leave on our hike
- Promotional Items
- All your breakfasts and suppers on the hike
- Wood, ice and scrumptious dinners throughout the trip
- An in-house Doctor or nurse
- Make shift toilet and shower facilities on the hike
- Assistance en route should you need it (vehicle/water/medical support)
- Transport of your bags while you are slack packing
- Shuttle back to your vehicle at Goanikontes
- Hiking permits in sections of this hike (Ministry of Environment and Tourism permits)
- Your supper at Goanikontes the evening we have our award ceremony after we completed the hike.
What is excluded?
- Your accommodation at Goanikontes 11 June and 16 June
- Your travel costs to and from Goanikontes
- Any medical insurance you might need
What do you need to bring, buy or be?
- You need to be a friendly, adaptable and environmentally aware person who will leave only your footprints and a good impression behind
- You have to be fit (fitness level 4/5)
- Not too afraid of heights, there is one section we have to do a bit of scrambling to get past it.
- You have to bring your own tent, sleeping bag and self-inflatable mattress
- Your own snacks and small lunches (if you eat lunch while you are walking)
- A valid passport
- Buy travel insurance
All tents and food will be transported by five 4×4 vehicles throughout the hike. You only need to carry your day pack, water and food for the day
The logistical challenges on a five-day hike where we have to transport literally everything we will need for the duration of the hike, is something you will only understand and appreciate once we completed the hike.
How to get there?
Goanikontes is about 76km from the Walvis Bay airport. Guests are advised to fly in and rent a vehicle, or book a taxi from the airport to Goanikontes. Last year some of the hikers took the opportunity to travel to Henties Bay and Swakopmund and rent quad bikes and climb dune 7, instead of rushing back.
Links and photos
If you want to reads more about the hike, please look at the following links. A Number of articles were published on this adventure. Flamingo, Air Namibia’s inflight Magazine, as well as the Fair Lady published lovely articles on the Hike. See The Republikein as well as the Buite Burger article links attached.
Should you be interested in joining us, please email asap. We will require a R2000 deposit to secure your spot. Apart from that, we would like to bring you into contact with Goanikontes Oasis to make a reservation for the two evenings required. Why this is important is because accommodation there is limited and Silent Steps asked for a block booking for those two evenings months in advance. The sooner you book, the most options you will have in terms of variety and price range, for affordable accommodation. Before any payment is made, please make sure you email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a booking form! Don’t miss this opportunity of a lifetime! Book now.